How to Paint Our Wood Sash, Transom, Hopper or Single Hung Windows
- The windows should have one primer coat and two coats of paint.
- You can use any sealing primer.
- For the paint, either Acrylic (water-based) or Alkyd (oil-based) works fine.
- Prime the wood first with the sealing primer by running the paint slightly onto the glass. This will seal all the frame work from rain water and will prevent the finished coat of paint from being absorbed into the wood ensuring a even gloss or sheen on the finished product.
- Using either the Acrylic or the Alkyd paint, paint the wood using the same process as you previously did with the primer allowing to dry thoroughly between coats of paint.
- You should apply at least two coats of paint.
- Every 3 to 4 years apply a new coat of paint to your windows.